Experience:15 years years
Academic & Professional Qualifications
- MSSc in Library and Information Science, University of Kelaniya
- BA, First Class honors pass, University of Kelaniya
- Higher Diploma in Library and Information Science, University of Kelaniya.
- Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education Programme (CTHE), General sir John Kotelawala Defence University
- Associate membership of Sri Lanka Library Association
- Senior Assistant Librarian Grade II, Allied Health Sciences library, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University - 2019 June to date
- Assistant Librarian (Transitional Provision), Allied Health Sciences Library, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University - 2014 June to 2019 June
- Assistant Librarian, University of Vocational Technology - 2009 October to 2014 June
- Assistant Librarian , National Institute of Technical Education in Sri Lanka - 2008 January to 2014 October
- Development Assistant (Library), National Institute of Technical Education in Sri Lanka - 2005 August to 2008 January
- Visiting Lecturer, Sri Lanka Library Association - 2011 to up to date
- Visiting Lecturer, BLIS degree program, Open University of Sri Lanka from 2020
- Referencing and Mendeley Reference Manager
- Literature searching/ Database searching
- Information sources
- PICO searching
- Evidence Based Physiotherapy
- Usability Assessment
- Information Sharing & Networking
- Digital information needs & seeking behavior
- Information needs & seeking behavior
- Digital libraries
- Information literacy
- Health librarianship
- user education
- Usability Assessment
- Systematic reviews
- Clodagh Nethsinghe Memorial Award for the best performance - Course on Library Automation 2007/2008 conducted by Sri Lanka Library Association.
- Indian Government Fellowship for Advanced certificate on Modern Library Practice Training Programme - National Institute of Technical Teachers Training & Research, Chennai, India – 08/10/2011- 08/12/2011
- Ukwattage, Hiruni Kanchana (2019), Content Analysis of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Websites in Sri Lanka, International Journal of Advanced Research in Education and Society, Asian Scholars Network, Vol.1, Issue 2, pp. 10-18,
- Premarathne, BAD Sarath and Ukwattage, Hiruni Kanchana (2019), Percussion Music Education in Sri Lanka: special reference to traditional drumming education, International Journal of Advanced Research in Education and Society, Asian Scholars Network, Vol. 1, Issue 2, pp. 32--39
- Upamalika, G.W.G. and Kanchana, U.D. Hiruni. (2013) .Library services, resources & information needs of the Technical Education Sector in Sri Lanka. In: 2nd International Conference on Social Sciences (ICSS). Sri Lanka: University of Kelaniya, p. 56.
- Kanchana, UD Hiruni. and Senevirathne, W. (2013). Information needs and seeking behavour of undergraduates in fine arts: A study at the university of Visual & Performing Arts, In: NILIS Research Symposium. Sri Lanka: National Institute of Library & Information Science, University of Colombo, pp. 83–93.
- Ranawella, T.C., Kanchana , U.D. Hiruni and Rajapaksha, M. P. (2014). Information sources used by postgraduate students in General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University: A citation analysis of theses, In: NILIS Research Symposium. Sri Lanka: National Institute of Library & Information Science, University of Colombo, pp. 55–61.
- Kanchana, U.D. Hiruni and Ramanan, T. (2015). Importance and usage of electronic information resources at the library of Kotelawala Defence University, Sri Lanka. In: 4th International Symposium on emerging trends and technologies in libraries and information services, (ETTLIS-2015). New Delhi: Jointly organized by Jaypee Institute of Information Technology and Jaypee University Anoopshahr, Noida, p. 23-27
- Kanchana, UD Hiruni. (2015). Study on information needs of the undergraduates in Visual & Performing Arts. In: First International Conference on Data and Communication for Science, Technology and Society (ICDCST 2015). Sri Lanka: Jointly organized by Digital Information Research Foundation, India and the Digital Information Research Ltd, UK.
- Ukwattage, Hiruni Kanchana. (2016). Challenges faced in formulating a new faculty library: special reference to Allied Health Sciences Library, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University. In 6th International symposium. Sri Lanka: South Eastern University,PP 278-283
- Premarathna, B.A.D. Sarath and Ukwattage, Hiruni Kanchana. (2018). Evaluating, patterns of research publications in the intangible cultural heritage of Sri Lanka: a Bibliometric study. In: Proceeding of 1st International Conference on Library and Information Science: from open library to open society. Thailand: Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University. pp 211-220
- Ukwattage, Hiruni Kanchana. Citation Analysis of Undergraduate Dissertations: an assessment of the utilization of information sources as a collection development tool. In: Proceeding of 1st International Conference on Library and Information Science: from open library to open society. Thailand: Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University. pp 269-280
- Kanchana, UD Hiruni (2020), Enhancement of information service through the document delivery service: reference to Allied Health Sciences library, Kotelawala Defence University , 2nd Asia International Conference on Multidisciplinary Research (AIMR'20), The International Research and Development Institute, p.20
- Kanchana, UDH (2021), Extending Library Services to the Community by Library Outreach Services: An institutional experience of Kotelawala Defence University, Proceedings of the NILIS Research Symposium 2020, held on 23rd January 2021, p.12